Last year at Christmas the hubs had gifted me with a cook book called 301 Venison Recipes The ultimate Deer Hunter’s Cookbook. I haven’t used it at all and this morning I took out some ground venison and in some recipes like tacos it can taste gamie. So I thought I would bust out that cookbook and see what I could find. I found a recipe called Big Game Pie and it turned out yummy. I did however change some stuff up more to our liking and I’m happy I did.
- 4 large potatoes (mashed) or instant potatoes
- 1/2 c celery, finely chopped
- Sour Cream for mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 c milk
- 3/4 c beef broth
- 2 -1/2 c venison, cubed and browned
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/4 c grated cheddar cheese
**** Changes I have made were:
- 1/3 c celery, finely chopped
- 4 shakes of minced onion
- I didn’t have canned beef broth, so I used boiling water and a beef bouillon
- 1 pound ground venison
- no browning sauce-I didn’t have any
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggie-cooked
Step 1: prepare mashed potatoes and per heat oven at 400 degrees.
Step 2: In a skillet saute celery and onion in butter until tender NOT brown.
Step 3: Blend in flour and gradually add milk and broth. Cook and stir until mixture thickens and bubbles.
(I was afarid to stop stirring the mixture to take a picture, I didn’t want to burn in)
Step 4: Put mixture into 1 1/2 quart dish and top evenly with mashed potatoes.
Step 6: Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serves 4